The collection of plaster casts of works of sculptures of antiquity
(5th century BC – 1st century BC)
The collection of plaster casts of the best known works of Green art was created thanks to Dr Izidor Kršnjavi, head of the Religion and Teaching Department (or ministry) in 1882. The collection has been in the Glyptotheque since 1940, and the permanent display contains 72 exhibits.
Some of the casts (sculptures and reliefs from the Parthenon and some other casts) are direct copies from the originals in marble. The other casts were on the whole made after Roman marble copies of bronze or marble originals.
The items on display give a review of Greek sculpture, spanning the period from the so-called Golden Age of Greek art (5th century BC) to the end of the Hellenistic period.
One distinct unit consists of casts from the Parthenon in Athens, the work of Phidias and his school, of the 5th century BC. Sculptures from the eastern and western pediments are shown and a part of the frieze on the external wall of the cella.
Here are also some of the best known sculptures of the Greek world, such as Myron’s Discobolos, Polyclites’ Doryphorus, Lysippus’s Apoxyomenos, and sculptures such as the Venus of Milo, Dying Gaul, Apollo Belvedere and the Laocoon group.